Orlando, Florida was once a sleepy, small central Florida city surrounded by orange groves and a few other things. When the Disney company moved part of its operations there, many other theme parks and associated industry followed, taking this once sleepy town to a thriving economic juggernaut for the Florida economy. Orlando has, in the years, grown significantly beyond strictly the tourism industry and is now home to some of the tallest skyscrapers in the Southeast.
At 426 feet tall, the Vue at Lake Eola is the third largest skyscraper in the area and is located in downtown Orlando. Composed of penthouses and condominiums for residential, midtown living, the penthouses are on the top floors and feature access to the 36th floor and balcony.
Slightly, and only two feet, taller than the Vue is the Peabody Orlando. One of the premiere hotels in Orlando, this hotel boasts 1,641 rooms and 31 stories. Built in 1986 and renovated to fresher, newer standards of hotel occupancy and technologies in 2010, it now has a second expansion tower to accompany the original.
Rounding out the top three buildings and the largest building not only in Orlando but in central Florida is the SunTrust Center of the SunTrust Bank organization. Standing at an impressive 441 feet, it was built as the headquarters for SunTrust Banks in Florida.
The complete Top 10 List of Tallest Buildings In Orlando
- SunTrust Center, 441 ft, 30 fl, blt 1988
- The Peabody Orlando Expansion Tower, 428 ft, 31 fls, blt 2010
- The Vue at Lake Eola, 426 ft, 35 fls, blt 2007
- Orange County Courthouse, 416 ft, 24 fls, blt 1997
- Bank of America Center, 409 ft, 28 els, blt 1988
- SeaWorld SkyTower, 400 ft., Viewing Tower, blt 1973
- 55 West on the Esplanade, 377 ft., 32 fls., 2008
- Solaire at the Plaza, 359 ft., 30 flrs., blt 2006
- Dynetech Centre, 357 ft., 31 flrs, blt 2008
- Orlando International Airport Control Tower, 346 ft., Control Tower, blt 2002
Other notable tall buildings in Orlando are:
Citrus Center, 280 ft., 18 flrs, blt 1971
Premiere Trade Plaza Office Tower II, 17 flrs, blt 2006